Weblog Themes By
Reasons Why Learning English is Important
The English language has been the common language of the world for decades. It is now impossible to find a country where learning English has not become a norm. While there are some people who would like to stick with their native language and who would prefer not to learn English, the benefits of learning and mastering English goes beyond the four corners of one's own country.
Whenever you wish to travel someplace, you have to communicate. If you don't know the language of the country where you intend to go, just try speaking English and you would be understood right away. Now imagine yourself traveling to a country, and you don't know how to speak English. The encounter with a foreigner would be a disaster if you don't know how to explain or ask questions in English. In effect, if you have already learned English, talking to a foreigner would prove to be an easy time.
The majority of media
publications including newspapers and magazines are in English. If you
are hungry for information with regards to what is happening at the
other side of the world, you can always acquire a newspaper and start
reading. But when you started to read the first sentences, there were
already some words which you didn't understand, and instead of reading
further, you just set aside the material and chose some other activity.
Now, if you have learned English continuously and have become familiar
with most English words, you could have finished the whole reading
material and have gotten the information that you wanted.
Immigrants also need to learn English especially if
they will be working at firms or other companies where English is the
medium of communication. Instructions would be clearly understood, and
therefore the room for error is minimized. At the same time, an
immigrant who would try to explain himself to his boss and co-employees
would be clearly understood if he could construct his ideas into a
single coherent thought. This can only be achieved by learning English
For those immigrants who are in the process of looking
for a job, a mastery of the English language would put them at a higher
leverage compared to those who don't. Considering that communication is
an essential component in a workplace, persons who are able to
communicate well using the English language would always have an
advantage over others.
The English language plays an important role in all
aspects of society, and therefore learning and mastering it would
greatly give advantage to the person concerned.
Learning to speak English well may be the best thing you can do to improve your life.
That's right. Do you think it would be fun to have access to
information that other people can't get? Talk and write letters to
interesting people that others can't communicate with? Impress people
around you whenever you opened your mouth? Make big jumps in your
career, leaving others miles behind?
You can get all this if you speak English well.
Get access to knowledge
What are you interested in? Is it science? Music? Computers? Health?
Business? Sports? Today's media — such as the Internet, television, and
the press — give you almost unlimited access to knowledge about your
favorite subjects. After all, we live in the information age, don't we?
There's only one problem. Most of this knowledge is in English.
Here are some examples of knowledge you can use if you know English:
- Most pages on the Web. That's over a
billion (1,000,000,000) pages of information! It's amazing that learning
just one language gives you access to almost all knowledge on the
- Books — on any subject, from all over
the world. Read books by British or American authors, and books
translated from other languages. Whatever you're interested in, you can
read about it in English!
- The press. Only English-language magazines and newspapers can be bought in every part of the world. You don't have to search for Time, Newsweek, or the International Herald Tribune!
- Science. English is the key to the world
of science. In 1997, 95% of the articles in the Science Citation Index
were written in English. Only about 50% of them were from
English-speaking countries like the USA or Britain. (source)
- News reports. Watch international
television networks, such as CNN International and NBC. They broadcast
news much faster, and more professionally, than smaller, national
networks. And you can watch them everywhere in the world.
Communicate with people
We like to call English "the language of communication". Why? Because
it seems all the people in the world have agreed to use English to talk
to each other.
- About 1,500,000,000 people in the world speak English. Another 1,000,000,000 are learning it. (source)
- 75% of the world's letters and postcards are written in English. (source)
- Almost all international conferences and competitions are conducted
in English. For example, the Olympics and the Miss World contest.
- Diplomats and politicians from different countries use English to
communicate with each other. English is the main language of
organizations like the United Nations, NATO, and the European Free Trade
If you can communicate in English, you can:
- Contact people from all over the world.
Talk about your ideas and opinions on Internet discussion groups. Send
e-mail to interesting people. Learn about their life and culture.
- Travel more easily. Communicate with
people wherever you go — English is spoken in more than 100 countries
(source). Ask directions, have a conversation, or... ask for help. Who
knows, maybe English will save your life someday!
Push your career forward
If you want a good job in business, technology, or science, get out
of that armchair and start learning English now! (If you already have a
good job, start learning before you lose it!)
Knowing English will let you:
- Put "excellent knowledge of English" on your CV. Get your dream job, and earn more money.
- Gain technical knowledge. English is the
language of technology, especially high technology like computer
science, genetics, and medicine. If you're going to read about
technology, you'll probably have to do it in English.
- Learn computer science. Read technical articles without difficulty. Or write your own articles!
- Be a world-class businessman (or
-woman). It's simple. International business is done in English. And all
business today is international. So if you want to play, you have to
know English — to contact other businesspeople, go to conferences, read
international business newspapers and magazines, etc.
- Become a better scientist. Contact
scientists from other countries, go to international conferences, visit
academic centers abroad. Learn about new scientific discoveries by
reading papers, books, and magazines.
- Use your computer more effectively. Most computer applications are in English, so you will understand them better — and become a better employee.
- Learn new skills for your job. The section "Get access to knowledge" explains how English helps you learn.
Enjoy art like never before
English lets you feel the culture of the world like no other
language. With a good knowledge of the English language, you can do
- Watch American and British films in the original. Once you try it, you'll never go back to dubbed versions!
- Read great books. Every famous book was written in English or it was translated into English. There is an amazing number of titles — from classic plays like Hamlet to modern thrillers like Jurassic Park.
- Enjoy English-language music more. Believe us: music is much better if you can understand the words.
English is easy to learn
English is not only the most useful language in the world. It is also one of the easiest languages to learn and to use:
- Simple alphabet — no special symbols such as é or ä. Type in sweet, part, film on your computer. Now try süß (German), (Polish), (Russian). Which is easier?
- Easy plurals — simply add s to a word. One car, five cars; one telephone, two telephones... There are very few exceptions.
- Words are easy to learn. In French, it's la fille and le chien. In German, it's das Mädchen and der Hund. In English, they're just a girl and a dog. And that's all you need to know.
- Short words. Most of the basic words are short: run, work, big, go, man. Long words are often shortened: sitcom = situational comedy, fridge = refrigerator, OS = operating system. Speaking English saves you time. :-)
- Words don't change. But in many languages, one word has many forms:
English: The man is blind.
German: Der Mann ist blind.
English: This is a blind man.
German: Das ist ein blinder Mann.
English: I see a blind man.
German: Ich sehe einen blinden Mann.
- Call everybody "you". You can say "Do you
speak English?" to your friend or to your teacher. In other languages,
you have to use the right word for the right person. In English,
everybody is equal. :-)
- English is everywhere. You can easily
access English-language television, music, websites, magazines, etc. You
don't have to learn from boring textbooks. You can learn and use your English at the same time. Using your English is especially important because it increases your desire to learn.
English is not only useful — it gives you a lot of satisfaction:
- Making progress feels great. We'll never forget the moment we discovered we could speak with Americans or watch TV in English.
- You will enjoy learning English, if you remember that every hour you spend gets you closer to perfection.
- Using English is fun, too, because every sentence you speak or write reminds you of your success.
English makes you a more powerful, happier person. It is not
difficult to imagine some situations where knowing English gives you a
A lot of international students come to America to learn English.
Learning English is important because it is the most common language in
the world. Almost 60% people in the world use English regularly.
Learning English is very important because it improves one’s chance of
getting a good job, helps one communicate in foreign countries, and
broadens one’s social networking.
First, learning English improves
the chance of getting a good job. Companies which deal with
international clients and suppliers rely on English-speaking employees
to interpret for them with the day-to-day operations. The requirements
for the position consists the ability to speak English. Therefore,
learning English improves one’s chance of getting this position.
people who understand English can travel much more countries by
themselves than people who do not speak English. A lot of countries are
using English as their main sub-language, and there are multiple simple
English phrases spread.
The other reason of learning English language
Chinese is spoken by a vast number of people but in reality
there is little competition against English in business circles.
French is losing its power even in diplomatic circles. The world is
becoming a global village and chances are that English will be the
choice for communication purposes.
1. Traveling with English:
If you are visiting Africa, America, Europe, Asia and Australia,
your English will be of great use. Many of these continents have
local languages but English will help you to deal with hotel staff and
the local people. You cannot be expected to learn all the local
dialects for the places you visit. Therefore you need a universal
language that can help you interact with the community.
2. Studying with English: If you look at the top
universities in the world, English is the mode of communication
for the majority of them. If you really want to expand your study then
it is inevitable that you will begin to learn the language. It is
certainly an essential requirement if you intend to study in the
United States of America. You will not be granted a visa unless you
have completed an ESOL course.
3. Correspondence and communication: You will
need the language in order to communicate with different
institutions across the globe. It is not enough to have a good
translator. You have to have the means to express your ideas and
requirements. Of course you might not need to write but that will close
your horizons. It is better to get some knowledge of the language
so that you can use it when you need to.
4. The growth of the internet: The influence of
the internet has meant that English is still leading. The vast
majority of websites are written in this language. You would be
missing out on e-commerce communities if you could not understand
the nuances of the various pages that contain the marketing
information. The younger generation in particular will be
challenged if they do not have access to the internet. This is an
essential service for all intents and purposes.
There are some people that argue for alternative languages. For
example other members of the European Union are very proud of their
languages and will go to extraordinary steps to ensure that it is
the main form of communication. As a case in point it is very hard
to get citizenship in Scandinavian countries if you do not speak
their languages. However it is also quite clear that when the need
arises, the Danes, Swedes and Norwegians are competent in English.
You should not allow yourself to be left behind because you have not
taken the time to study this important language. You will never regret
the decision to study English.
The importance of learning english